Artists in list from the slide blitz that I would put on my list of artists to appreciate.
Alex Kanevsky
Antonio Lopez Garcia
Euan Uglow
Sangram Majumdar
Mark Bradford
Gerhard Richter
Kehinde Wiley
John Sonsini
Michael Borremans
Catherine Murphy
Stuart Pearson Wright
Vincent Desidero
George Shaw
Eric Fischl
Paula Rego
Kerry James Marshall
Tim Eitel
Carel Weight
Paul Fenniak
Phillip Guston
Hilary Harkness
Karin Mamma Anderson
Jean-Michel Basquiat
Anselm Kiefer
David Hockney
Adrian Ghenie
and i added
Jeremy Long
Marcelo Urtiaga
Jose Cuneo Perinetti
Juan Manuel Blanes
What experience do I have previously to this class... Oil paint was my first real art classes in 4th grade. I studied painting with a pastor of a church and later I took an adult class at a gallery in 5th/6th grade so I could get into art high school. My studies really began in Art high school. My favorite class which I remember the most from was with Jeremy Long. He taught me how to paint looking color to color( traditionally a Cezanne thing.) He still teaches and assists college painting now at Wright State University College of Liberal Arts. I also learned a lot about painting from my drawing one and 2 classes at MICA with Sangram Majumdar. I think in his class I learned how to correct what you would see as you see it. Sangram and Jeremy show work in the same gallery in Chicago and have a similar technique to Painting/Drawing. I also modeled for Sangram's painting classes and learned a lot from being the subject. I also modeled for his work.
SANGRAM MAJUMDAR " The Sentinel" ( me as the model)
I think for many years I must have picked up information by being the model in works and learning to manifest the object of which the painter wants to study. I have been a model for more than 10 years. This semester I hope to push my skills and try to have more realism in my work though pushing my color to create more distinction and space. I want to take time and the nice art supplies I finally have had the privilege to buy and strive for a higher quality work. O want to be constantly correcting color and space, also I want to find more freedom to enjoy the work and push myself without as much anxiety as I used to harbor in my work. My cousins painting, Marcelo Urtiaga, has shown me that and other painters/drawers from Uruguay that the freedom and playfulness in the work can be just as invigorating as a highly rendered work. So I believe I want to find a new level of balance for me.

No comments:
Post a Comment