Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Artists that Influence me

This prompt is always important.  I think it can be new and changing all the time since there are new artists everyday and new things the learn abut more people.  I will just list a few stuck around throughout the years but mind that they are not my absolute favorites just ones that seem to stay.  Ana Mendieta is one of them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ana_Mendieta#Life_and_Work
http://weadartists.org/artist/mendietaa
http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/sep/22/ana-mendieta-artist-work-foretold-death
I think her moving here from Cuba as one of the children the Catholic Missionaries tried to bring out of Cuba, her exploration of self and Identity having been separated from her land and roots is what to me comes across strong and almost like trying to connect herself back.  Also her strong works about going outside of her expected norms as a women, and gender struggles as a female artist during her time are powerful. Her death is tragic.  I feel maybe some people ahead of their time are in someways by society destroyed so that they can not shock the foundation too much.

Another artist who's work I find amazing is William Kentridge.
He is a South African artist known for his animated films/ prints and drawings. He was born in Johannesburg.  He does a lot of reflection/ self reflection in his work on the political intensity and nature of class and power and privilege in South Africa. I think he is constantly thinking about what it means to be white and have the privilege to make his art in that context. His work has a meticulous quality as well with his stop and go animations of his charcoal drawings and they are also more precious because of their change and impermanence. The political and personal reflections are important to bear witness too.  If you ever get to see this in person it is worth sitting down in the gallery and patiently watching every moment and every detail.
 Felix in Exile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaTnchoukdY


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmvK7A84dlk


Another artist of the day that seems to come to mind today is Andrei Tarkovsky.  His film Stalker from 1979 is so inspirational to me.  I have had more than one experience of starting the film watching it being induced into dreams and than waking up to find the TV off and I did not even realize I had fallen into a dream the film and my dream together were sooo seamless.  This Film is loosley based on a Sci Fi text called Roadside Picnic.  The context in the film itself( differing slightly from the novel) is that a wanderer and Poet and Intellect head over to the land that has been changed where it is prohibited to go .  It is a place that reflects the past a little in its wild uncontrollable state evoking memory and fear of the unknown.  It was filmed in a town and near by where a nuclear hydro power plant exploded or leaked or whatnot and the town had to be cleared out ( for real it happened) actually this would be one of those works of art I would say all the artists died to create because they later all died of different strange cancers probably due to the toxicity of their set.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM_GOpfEQUw

I will end with one more work by female artists.  Film Artist Vera Chytilova .  Her 1966 film Daisies has had me reflect just as much as the characters in the film the nature of who and why and what I am as a female and my roles that I play.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0161615/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

No comments: