Monday, May 4, 2015

Euan Uglow



I really love the attention to what is observed.  One article described his relationship to his models and their holding a pose for such a long time to the point where they would have a boyfriend, get married and have a divorce all in the course of sitting for a pose.  He used plum lines and made marks on his painting as well as sometimes painting marks on the model as well to try to position the model accurately in his work. He left a lot of his marks in his finished works where his teacher thought it distasteful like having your shirt untucked.  He exclaimed that he left them in because he never knew when he might need to look at them again or use them for observations sake. 
I think one of the things I admire is the intense commitment to observation of the subject.  Sometimes I think if you stare at something long enough it might actualize itself in another form or be so seemingly real it might disappear from reality.     

No comments: