Vanessa Beecroft I also find influential from her performances of the many models. I am confused about the artists intent through these works. I have read several articles everything from her obsession with her bulimia to her idealism of the physically fit. I find all of this fascinating because these articles are all found in a collection of articles written about her work on her artist page. http://www.vanessabeecroft.com/frameset.html
How I view the work though as being about the many depravities of the obsession we as a social culture have with the model and all the unbecoming and unaware ways in which we stare and obsess about these models as well as the models seeming to have no opinion of the audiences gaze. The aloof nature of it all and the objectification of a woman in this bare and vulnerable state. Even though these settings are so glamorized as being high fashion at the same time as flawed in their incredible made up sort of way. Like how sometimes I think I look both so beautiful and completely gross with make up on.
And looking at Beecroft's work, I found Marlene Dumas and loved some of the sexual nature and perverse quality or as she states it in a video when the interviewer asks if it is the male gaze she is thinking about and she says she is not so worried about that as that..."I think that just the act of looking you make an object of anyone, anyway" I think this quote is just so brilliant and touches of exactly what I am exploring in my series works as well. I really enjoy this interview!















No comments:
Post a Comment