I feel That I have finally been able to convey an idea or concept in a body of work that is purely done in the medium of paint. To me this is a huge accomplishment. I have and probably will forever be a mixed media person with an emphasis on performance art. I as an artist will always draw back from my tools in the traditional fine arts, painting, drawing, sculpture, and printmaking, but this has not been my sole medium for a long time. There is a beauty to the skill of not using too many crayons in the crayon box so to say as far as a metaphor on medium use in multimedia works. I once dated a very talented percussionist who was very dedicated to his practice. He always emphasized the science behind the fact that no one can become a genius at anything ( or highly skilled at one thing) unless it one dedicates at least 8 years of ones life to the practice. As a multi media artist I would always think great. I will dedicate at least 8 years to every different medium of which I choose to incorporate. Of course my life has had many challenges and it seems some of those practices are a very expensive privileged practice only available to those who can afford it. I believe painting is one of those practices which beautiful as it may be uses a bunch of materials that quite frankly are very expensive, full of heavy metals and chemicals and quite frankly extremely extremely toxic and take a considerable amount of time and consideration to be able to use with ease as well as safely. I have to say as beautiful as painting is it is not very accessible and has been an on and off practice of mine since I was 9 or 10 years old( starting with oil paint studies) seems like this painting class has pushed me to finally take a step of the deep end of the pool at the age of 30 now to finally getting a hold of the skills used in this practice to convey a message. It was not easy!!! This semester has been a constant pushing myself to go further and try greater tools.
I have to say the order of what projects were due in the second semester pushed us to really open up the ideas of loosening into a practice that could develop a final independent series body of work. Working both with abstraction as well as narrative and collage pushed me as an artist to start exploring my ideas and how to apply them to painting as well as the way in which I apply paint to a surface to really start to understand how I practice my painting as well as what I wanted to make pain about. Like a young stubborn individual( as if I were an adolescent) the constant guide of the work of which we were working on to writing and reflecting on in this blog the things that inspire us to see the world the way that we do helped me greatly to feel the ease of painting what I wanted to paint in the end in my final series and have the daring vulnerability and braveness to put my feet in the are and take a leap of faith that I now have all the tools as well as skills to do what I want to do and what others are doing and have done before me. I don't know if I can maintain this level of self esteem to be able to continue to think this way always with every body of work or next painting. But thanks to this class I have the reference point that I have and I can and with diligence persistence and practice I can probably do it again. So I am very proud of the end of my semester and all the hard work I have put into it, as well as the journey it took to be able to get here thanks to this wonderful class and its prompts and challenges. I have also been inspired to continue to work on this blog! Lets see what happens five years from now!
two other inspiring works from my semester...







No comments:
Post a Comment